Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Walking Backwards



Woke up this morning, at around 1:30 AM, to the frightening sensation of ground-shaking thunder and lightning. Did you know that it takes the sound of thunder three seconds to travel one kilometer? Well, last night as I sat up in bed I found myself counting "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand...
Well, that was the plan, at least. It actually went more like this: one one-thouBaBOOM...sand rattle, rattle, rattle, rattle....
According to the 3km/second rule, the lightning was hitting within 500 meters at the most. Was it hitting the Media Center? The mountain? Either way, too close for comfort. Luckily, the storm seemed to pass as quickly as it came along, and the thunder seemed to stop long enough to allow me to get back to sleep.

The rain continued until today, which is why I found myself walking backwards to school this morning. I walked out the front door in my raincoat, umbrella in hand, and walked right into the wind. The wind was so strong that the rain was "falling" horizontally, so I had to hold my umbrella straight out in front of me. I could not see where I was going, and ended up walking into a fence and almost tripping over the curb. The whole time my umbrella was threatening to collapse, so I decided to give up. I pulled up my hood, closed the umbrella, and simply walked backwards into the rain. I still could not see where I was going, but at least the umbrella was not threatening to carry me away anymore.
I think that I need to get a rain suit before the rainy season starts this year...

3 comments:

  1. Somebody have told me that Americans are water proof so they don't need an umbrella. But still rain suit is a good idea. I should get one too. I was soaking wet the other morning….

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used umbrella but I wet soon because I walk to school every day. Howevery I like rain because there are some rain day's song. Do you like rainy day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised the thunder too. The thunder made rumble and windows trembled!

    ReplyDelete