Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A "D" for WiFi

I will be using Skype in class for some internet video in a few weeks, so I ran a test on the bandwidth available in the classrooms.  I set my computer up in seminar room 4 ( 演習4) and visited the Speedtest website.

The good new is that the Skype test went fine, and I should be able to use it in class for one-way video.  The bad news is that the Speedtest site gave our wifi bandwidth a grade of "D", and claims that 71% of Japan has faster internet than us.


Just for comparison, I also ran the test once I returned to my office and connected to the LAN.  These results were a little better, as our LAN seems to get a grade of "C".

And, of course, just to be thorough, I decided to run the same test on my iPhone.  Of course, the iPhone uses Softbank's 3G network, so this is not related to the university internet connection.  The results were equally depressing though...
Are you happy with your internet connection?

3 comments:

  1. I want to get faster system of internet. Many people feel Internet system in this university are slow... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. What's up with that? Someone on the media center committee should speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You kidding me? Those guys just sit around playing with their iPads all day... ;^P

    ReplyDelete