Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Running and Motivation

A good way to motivate yourself to do something is to find a way to make it more interesting.  I have never enjoyed jogging very much, but I knew that it would be a great way to get in shape, so I looked for ways to make it more interesting to me.  I had just bought my new iPhone, so the first step was to find a way to use my iPhone to make running interesting.

I searched for "running" in the iTunes application store and found a program called iMapMyFitness.  I also downloaded a podcast for Couch to 5K, which is a program that helps you get in shape.  Now, when I run, I listen a podcast that talks me through each run, and use the iMapMyFitness application to track my run on GPS.  So, it seems that I have used my interest in technology to get myself interested in running.
Here is the data from my last run:

Workout: Run
Date: Oct 18, 2010
Distance: 3.58 km
Duration: 31:59

And, if you have the Google Earth browser plugin, here is a bird's eye view of my run.


If you can't see the video, here is a map of my route:


How can you use this idea of using your interests to motivate you to achieve other goals help you in your studies?

2 comments:

  1. It's very interesting program!
    I want to use it, and enjoy running.
    I think it is very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takako, if you have an iPhone you should try the program. I use the free version, so it does not cost any money. By the way, Ms. Kane uses this program too!

    ReplyDelete